February 4, 2015

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective.

To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison. 

Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only.

I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.

Before I start to make this capacitor comparison, let me introduce the audio equipment I am using on my car.

The head unit is a Pioneer KEH-P9750 upgraded previously only in the signal path capacitor.

I am using additional power amplifier. It is the Gainclone amplifier built for car audio.
 
The capacitor that will be compare will be put on the same place on the main board of the Pioneer KED-P9750. There are 4 pieces 4.7 uF and 2 pieces 10 uF.

No others components removed or changed during this test. The audio adjustment is automatically adjust by the Pioneer KEH-P9750 auto adjustment.



First impression from stock capacitor to Elna Silmic II
This is the first capacitor upgrade from the stock. It is improving the sound stage a lot. Right now I can feel the sound stage is more wider, more holographic. The sound stage feels above of the car dash board. The music detail is also better. The drawback from after this upgrade is the low and mid-range frequency are too dominant. The vocal is not as clear as before, too much emphasis on the low frequency. This makes the presentation of the mid-range not as clear as before.

Elna Silmic II over 100 hours break-in impression
I let this setup for a week, accompany me to commute from home to office. After some time, the overall sound is much more better. More neutral than the first time that more emphasis on the mid-low frequency. The background noise is improve and seems more quieter than before. The mid-range sound more relaxed and clearer. The music detail as is from the first time. I also notice the high frequency more relaxed and smooth right now.

Then I change them to Elna Cerafine
I pull out the head unit from my car, then change all the capacitors to this Elna Cerafine. The result is so much different. This Elna Cerafine sound really harsh and edgy. I almost cannot enjoy the  music right after this capacitor are changed. This is simply I cannot just compare the already break-in capacitor with brand new capacitor like this and it is just unfair. So I let it play the music for a week then I will try to figure out how is the sound after they are breaking in.

Elna Cerafine over 100 hours break-in
The bass very dominant. The mid-range presentation is more forward. It is lack of music detail. The overall music presentation still can be enjoyed and far better than before the capacitor breaking in. I can take the summary from my car audio right now is just like the sound are presenting in your face.

Return back again to the Elna Silmic II
Elna Silmic is far better. The sound presentation is smooth, more laid back and warmer compare to the Elna Cerafine. This changing really presence to the music I heard and I am enjoying the music so much right now.

Hopefully this comparison can help you out when choosing the right capacitor for the better audio signal capacitor.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

1 comment: